In Your unfailing love You will lead the people You have redeemed. In Your strength You will guide them to Your holy dwelling. Exodus 15:13



Thursday, May 13, 2010

Welcome to Holland

Klaire Grace's teacher read this to me today during our meeting. I wanted to share it with you because I think it will impact you too. So many of us in one way or another are in our own Holland. Let us celebrate together in her beauty and grace. Here's to Holland!

WELCOME TO HOLLAND
by Emily Perl Kingsley

I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability- to try to help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how it would feel. It's like this...

When you're going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip -to Italy. You buy a bunch of guide books and make your wonderful plans. The Coliseum. The Michelangelo David. The gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. It's all very exciting.

After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later, the plane lands. The stewardess comes in and says, "Welcome to Holland."

" Holland?!?" you say. "What do you mean Holland?? I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy."

But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must stay.

The important thing is they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine and disease. It's just a different place.

So you must go out and buy new guidebooks. And you must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would never have met.

It's just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and you catch your breath, you look around... and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills... and Holland has tulips. Holland even has Rembrandts.

But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy...and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."

And the pain of that will never, ever, ever, ever go away... because the loss of that dream is a very very significant loss.

But... if you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things ...about Holland.



KG's AI (Auditory Impairment) teacher began discussing the "grieving process" with me today. I immediately told her that I was not grieving. I, in fact, was fine. Well, she began to discuss it anyways and before I knew it, my heart was broken open in front of a stranger because I was actually grieving. I had no idea!!! Why didn't anyone tell me that had a loss and now I was grieving it?!?? I totally was under the impression that we had hit a communication barrier and we diligently working to overcome it.

A new reality once again.

9 comments:

Jill Marie said...

Praying for you and your loss!

Amanda said...

Krystal, I pray God will give you peace and comfort as you grieve this loss. You and Jared are such great parents.

Anonymous said...

Krystal,

I have spent my life working with children with disabilities. Once you grieve the change in how you thought life would be, you will realize Holland far exceeds Italy. This is not a loss - it is a gift. She will do great things with her gift, and you will learn to touch lives you would never had the access to otherwise. God is good and He loves us. Hang on to that truth and know that He has great and mighty things in store for your precious baby and your whole family.

Cheryl Travis (Jenny's mom)

Anonymous said...

Krystal,

I have spent my life working with children with disabilities. Once you grieve the change in how you thought life would be, you will realize Holland far exceeds Italy. This is not a loss - it is a gift. She will do great things with her gift, and you will learn to touch lives you would never had the access to otherwise. God is good and He loves us. Hang on to that truth and know that He has great and mighty things in store for your precious baby and your whole family.

Cheryl Travis (Jenny's mom)

C:M:W said...

K- This was great thank you for sharing your heart.

Kristin said...

Wow! I am so humbled by your perspective. Thank you so much for sharing it!

Britt said...

Krystal,
Thank you for sharing this! My Holland is so very different than yours, but I can relate! I was "supposed" to be in a very different place right now and my plane was hijacked and taken to "Holland" I am quickly learning that evne though it's not where I had packed for and certainly now where I want to be, it is right where God has lovingly placed me!! I am going to use this on my blog...I hope you don't mind! Have a great day and love on those precious girls!

Unknown said...

So apparently it has been a long time since I read you blog. It is so neat to see that you posted this. After we talked on Friday I actually thought of this poem. Love you sweet friend!

rsgoldaz said...

Cheap Runescape gold - Rs gold from www.rsgoldaz.com

It's nice to acquire the cash, but they are just agnosticism what the point is of arena the game, spending hours earning runescape3 gold, if you can just buy it. Afore the absolution of the bond, players may allegation to plan for canicule to acquiesce the best accessory they could, but now they just can buy it three times over with banknote to spare. Does it accomplish arena the bold worthless?Therefore, we assumption the best affair to do is accomplish use of it. You can acquire money to buy three bonds and use them on spins, membership, or ruincoins. Also, you can yield those three bonds to a F2P apple and advice anyone new. Or maybe accord them to a acquaintance who needs advice befitting up his membership. Will that accomplish added faculty for you?The 4rsgold Aggregation Subscribe 4rsgold newsletter to get Chargeless $5 coupon! We agreement that the accomplished accumulation action will be done in 10 annual afterwards your adjustment is confirmed. That agency you don't allegation to delay for a continued time to buy 2007 RS gold (Old Academy Rs Gold) from us. We action 24 hours annual everyday.